I experienced a head injury a couple of weeks ago. I went to the hospital emergency room to do a head CT scan, and fortunately it turns out a minor one and nothing serious happen. Minor head injuries can happen to people of all ages, and especially common to small children. As such, I am sharing some safety tips on head injuries this week.
This Sunday is the end of Daylight Savings Time. As you spend time changing clocks that can't change themselves, don't forget to change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Like any electrical appliance, personal space heaters need their space. It's especially important to locate space heaters pretty far away from anything that could catch on fire. Although the handy appliances come with lots of safety features, it's up to you to make sure they don't get close enough to catch something on fire.
I recently ran across a few articles on heart health because February is American Heart Month. I'd encourage you to take a few minutes to think about the American Heart Association's Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations: https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/nutrition-basics/aha-diet-and-lifestyle-recommendations?fbclid=IwAR1TgTRGts8QL-x7Mhgb4UH5sdnBkDED5FNXsJDzZY8zupT5OkJk9b8IErg
My 13-year-old recently discovered woodworking and received a scroll saw for Christmas. We got the saw all put together and I captured this fist cut with it. After snapping the picture, I showed it to him and pointed out that he needs safety glasses as well as taking the time to think about what he is wearing while using this, or any other power tool. I urge everyone to take the opportunities to point out to our family the safety hazards we see in everyday life.
I have to report a first aid incident that I experienced at home. I burned my finger while removing a thermocouple from meat in my smoker. I was wearing gloves but there was a hole in the tip of the index finger, right where I grabbed a hot thermocouple.
This year we are celebrating our 21st anniversary in our home. A lot has changed on our road. New houses have been built and more cut-through and bicycle traffic. What hasn't changed is the condition of the road. It is still a two-lane road without a shoulder, very narrow in parts, very dark at night, large drop offs in some areas, and animals constantly crossing it.
Talk to tour family about safety. Engaging your spouse in safety conversations is fun and very productive. It drives a safety culture that is valuable to them everywhere they go. These conversations also create a team feeling to look after each other. You can leverage all the training you receive at work.
To have happy and safe holidays, following are a few holiday safety tips:
The holiday season is here, and we're excited to share in the holiday spirit! It's easy to get caught up in the festivities, and while you're busy decorating the house, safety may be one of the last things on your mind.
As FRI is moving into keeping their employees healthy, there is also another important message to share: it's time to rethink your drink! We know that many people, including kids, struggle with their weight and how to eat more healthfully. But did you know that cutting out sugar-sweetened drinks is an easy way to eliminate extra sugar and empty calories from your diet? Consuming too much sugar also directly contributes to weight problems in children and adults alike. In fact, many health professionals point to soft drinks, sodas, sports drinks, and juices as major sources of excess calories and weight gain, even among kids. And because you don't feel as full from drinking a beverage as you would from eating the same number of calories in a meal, you may take in more calories from the sugar before you feel full. Even 100 percent fruit juice has a lot of calories from sugar, so it's best to drink only one serving a day of juice. Mostly, when you can, reach for water first! It's your best no-calorie, healthy beverage choice all the time.
My mom called last week and was telling me a story of the previous evening. She received a call from her neighbor who thought someone was inside her house. She asked my mother to come over and help her. When my mother got to her house, the neighbor was alone but there was obviously something wrong. She couldn't figure out what it was. She thought of a stroke but the neighbor had no slurred speech so she dismissed that, helped her check out the house and got her back to bed. When she called to check on her the following morning she found out she was in the hospital from a stroke.
As you go home tonight, be extra careful to watch for little goblins, witches, super heroes, etc.
We are all "addicted" to our mobile devices in one way or another. There are two health/safety issues, among many others, that are pet peeves of mine:
Sometimes tire blowouts are unavoidable. However, there are some actions we can take to reduce the likelihood of the unfortunate event from taking place.
We recently had a strong cold front make its way through Oklahoma. As the temperature decreases, the air pressure in your tire decreases. With large temperature drops, a tire that was on the lower limit of being properly inflated at 80 °F will no longer be at 35 °F. An underinflated tire will experience more friction between the tire and the road leading to increased wear and potentially a blowout.
If you haven't already, check the tires on your family's vehicles at your next opportunity.