It’s back to school time. Nearly one-fifth of traffic fatalities of children below the age of 15 are pedestrians, with more school-age pedestrians killed between the hours of 3 and 4 pm.¹ AAA “School’s Open – Drive Carefully” program offers some tips.
- Slow down – Obey school zone speed limit signs. Always stop for school buses. Watch out for kids trying to cross streets.
- Come to a complete stop – No rolling stops
- Eliminate distractions – Turn down the radio, stay off the phone.
- Reverse responsibly – Sometimes the little ones are not taller than your car/truck so wait extra- long before backing up. If you have a back-up camera, even better.
- Watch for bicycles - Share the road
- Talk to your teen – Start talking to our kids early about safe driving habits and traffic laws. Always be a good example.
¹Bartlesville Examiner, August 17, 2015